Mojave Air and Space Port - Website
Mojave Air and Space Port
The Mojave Airport was first opened in 1935 as a small, rural airfield serving the local gold and silver mining industry.
In July, 1942, the U.S. Marine Corps took over the field and vastly expanded it as the Marine Corps Auxiliary Air Station (MCAAS) Mojave. Many of the Corps’ WWII aces received their gunnery training at Mojave. With the end of WWII, MCAAS was disestablished in 1946, and became instead a U.S. Navy airfield. At the end of 1953, the USMC reopened MCAAS Mojave as an auxiliary field to MCAS El Toro.
In 1961, after the USMC transferred operations to MCAS El Centro, Kern County obtained title to the airport. In February, 1972, the East Kern Airport District was formed to administrate the airport; EKAD maintains the airport to this day.
Mojave Air and Space Port has since evolved from a sleepy desert general aviation destination to a world renowned flight research center spanning 3300 acres, hosting the latest and most advanced aeronautical designs. Hosting more than 60 companies engaged in light industrial to highly-advanced aerospace design, flight test and research to heavy rail industrial, Mojave Air and Space Port and industrial park might very well be a destination for your business.
Mojave Air and Space Port 2012
Video by mojaveairspace